Woodstock rushes past Patriots


BENNINGTON — After a two-goal win over Hoosac Valley, Mass., in a virtual winter wonderland to start the season, the Mount Anthony boys lacrosse team looked to take some momentum into Wednesday's home opener against Woodstock.

But the Wasps, a Division I semifinalist a year ago, showed they aren't ready to leave their perch any time soon.

Woodstock scored the first nine goals of the afternoon en route to a 16-4 win at the Vets Home Field.

MAU coach Alex Cross had trouble finding the right words to describe the loss.

"I don't know if we had the jitters or what," Cross said. "We have a couple guys out sick and a couple more banged up, that doesn't help at all... but it's frustrating. I don't know what happened. It's really hard to explain."

The Wasps dominated from the opening faceoff, scoring its first three times in the opening five minutes of the contest. Micah Schlabach started it 25 seconds in, followed by scores from Jed Astbury and Lucas Piconi.

The MAU defense started to play a little better, but Woodstock finished the first quarter with two more scores, coming eight seconds apart. Field Willis made it 4-0 and MAU took a timeout to regroup. Right off the stoppage, though, the Wasps scored again, Caden White, the fifth different player to tally.

The second quarter started similarly to the first, with Piconi making it 6-0 before Astbury scored three times in a row to make it 9-0 with 6:17 left in the half.

Article Continues After These Ads

Mount Anthony finally got on the board with 3:01 remaining in the first half, Jeff Potter doing the honors, unassisted.

"If I see them struggling, I try to call a timeout," Cross said. "I want them to keep playing hard, because I try to stress that just because they scored a bunch of goals quickly, doesn't mean we can't score a bunch like that."

Piconi and Andrew Gubbins scored 29 seconds apart, Gubbins on the man-up, to make it 11-1 at halftime.

MAU turned things around a bit in the third quarter, with Maxwell Noyes scoring the first of his two tallies — assisted by Nicholas Salem — to make it 11-2 with 7:19 left in the third. The Patriots defense also started to come around, keeping Woodstock off the board for nearly eight minutes to start the half, but after White scored, goals from Schlabach and Piconi came in short order for a 14-2 advantage. Freshman Karter Noyes scored his second goal of the year with 15 seconds left in the third quarter.

"At the end of the third period, we started to play well, we moved the ball, possessed it, and scored twice in the third," Cross said. "Once we got into a groove, things starting going our way, offensively and defensively."

Schlabach and Keaton Piconi scored in the fourth quarter for Woodstock, while Max Noyes added a goal in the fourth, assisted by Christopher Nolan.

"Woodstock is a great team, they are sound and they showed that today," Cross said. "

Mount Anthony drops to 1-1 on the year and hosts Pittsfield on Monday.

"It's a long season. We have 16 games and this is only game 2," Cross said. "We just have to move on to next week and go from there."


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions