Village Fire Department douses chimney fire


BENNINGTON — Late Thursday morning the Bennington Village Fire Department responded to a chimney fire in a Main Street home.

The department arrived on the scene at 1013 Main St. just after 11 a.m. The 911 caller advised that the residence was filled with smoke and that neighbors were helping an elderly woman out of the home. All residents and pets were successfully evacuated. The Bennington Rescue Squad was dispatched to the scene as a precaution.

The portion of Main Street between Burgess Road and Route 279 was closed to traffic for about an hour as firefighters dealt with the fire. Firefighters on the scene said, aside from minor smoke damage, there was very little damage to the interior of the house. The risk of the fire spreading was mitigated by a stone floor in the room with the fireplace.

Fire police from the Bennington Rural Fire Department assisted with traffic control at the scene.

Derek Carson can be reached at, at @DerekCarsonBB on Twitter and 802-447-7567, ext. 122.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions