The Bennington Banner has lifted the paywall on all coronavirus stories that provide critical public health information to readers. To support vital reporting such as this, please consider a digital subscription today.

The Checkup for July 8: 2 new cases of COVID reported in Vermont

Posted
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

With this regular feature, the Banner runs down breaking local and regional developments in the coronavirus crisis.

The numbers

The Vermont Department of Health reported two new cases of COVID-19 in Vermont on Tuesday, raising the cumulative total to 1,256. The new cases were in Chittenden and Windham counties.

In Bennington County, the cumulative total remained at 73.

No Vermonters died of the disease over the past day. The death toll stands at 56. Two Vermonters are currently hospitalized with the disease.

So far, 71,756 tests have been administered.

The health department reported that 1,803 people were being monitored as of Tuesday, an decrease of 11. Of those, 1,761 are travelers to Vermont.

Article Continues After Advertisement

The number of Vermonters reported to have recovered from COVID-19 rose by 10, to 1,049.

1 case at Burlington nursing home

A new resident under quarantine at a Burlington nursing home has tested positive for COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Article Continues After These Ads

Health Commissioner Dr. Mark Levine said Tuesday that the person was under a quarantine for new admissions at Elderwood.

“We should actually record this positive case as a success story,” Levine said. “And the reasons I say that is because this case involved an individual who was actually under quarantine already at the facility. ”

The senior care facility said family members of residents have been notified and limited outdoor visitation has been suspended for 28 days.

“Elderwood has implemented established isolation and infection control protocols as well as those protocols consistent with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Vermont State Department of Health for persons suspected of having the virus. This includes comprehensive COVID-19 testing of all residents and staff,” it said in a statement.

Article Continues After Advertisement

The protocols call for new residents to be isolated, tested periodically and monitored for 14 days following admission and staff caring them are required to wear full personal protective equipment, it said.

Threats cancel lacrosse tournament

Organizers of a lacrosse tournament in Stowe say they have canceled the event after receiving threats.

The annual Stowe LAX Classic was scheduled for the weekend of July 18-19 and has drawn thousands to Vermont. Some residents told WCAX-TV that they were concerned about out-of-staters coming to Vermont amid the coronavirus pandemic. The event for boys' and girls' lacrosse has drawn 3,000 to 5,000 people to Stowe in previous years.

Organizers told the station in an email that they were receiving threats from local residents so decided to cancel the tournament.

Material from The Associated Press was used in this report.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.




Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions