The Checkup for Aug. 13: 6 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Vermont
With this regular feature, the Banner runs down breaking local and regional developments in the coronavirus crisis.
The statistics supplied by the Vermont Department of Health at midday each day are accurate as of the end of the previous day.
The department on Thursday reported six new cases of COVID-19 in Vermont over the past day, bringing the cumulative total to 1,484. Three of the new cases were in Chittenden County; Bennington, Rutland and Orange counties each had one.
In Bennington County, the cumulative total is now 91.
No Vermonters died of the disease over the past day. The death toll remains at 58. Two Vermonters are currently hospitalized with the disease.
So far, 105,907 tests have been administered.
The number of Vermonters reported to have recovered from COVID-19 rose by 15, to 1,310.
The health department reported that 957 people were being monitored for the disease, a decrease of 24 from the previous day. Of those, 927 are visitors to Vermont.
The number of people tested displayed in the health department's dashboard has dropped by about 500 people. This is due to a method used that improves the quality of the demographic information about people tested and removes duplicates. The change also affects the numbers in the "Total People Tested" graph and "People Tested by Day" graph.
Hannaford donates $20,000 to support Vermont families
Hannaford Supermarkets on Thursday announced a $20,000 donation to support Vermont families during the coronavirus global health pandemic. The donation includes $10,000 each to BROC Community Action in Southwestern Vermont and the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity, which will use the funding to increase access to housing, food and employment opportunities for families in the greater Bennington, Rutland and Burlington areas. The Vermont donation is one part of an overall $250,000 commitment from Hannaford to help families in New England and New York adversely impacted by the pandemic.
According to a survey conducted by the Urban Institute in late March and early April, more than four in 10 parents reported that they or someone in their family lost work due to the coronavirus and that low-income parents were less likely to be able to work from home, Hannaford said in its announcement. The study also found that more than one-third of parents had problems paying for housing, utility, food or medical costs at the onset of the pandemic and reduced spending on food and savings, resulting in increased debt.
"The pandemic has resulted in a groundswell of new issues and struggles for families throughout our community, including health concerns, job loss, financial difficulties and decreased access to childcare and education for their children. Our lowest-income families have borne the brunt of this impact and need our help now more than ever," said Mike Vail, president of Hannaford Supermarkets. "At Hannaford, we consider the family unit the core of our community and are pleased to support parents and children throughout New England and New York with this donation. This effort truly exemplifies our commitment to being Greater than Groceries."
The $10,000 grant from Hannaford will support BROC Community Action in Southwestern Vermont's efforts to address housing challenges resulting from the pandemic, including relocating newly homeless families to permanent affordable housing. The donation will also be used to support the agency's food shelves in Rutland and Bennington which have experienced a spike in demand since mid-March, resulting in a 40 percent increase in the number of people served in Rutland. Additionally, the Bennington food shelf is now open five days a week as opposed to only two prior to the pandemic.
"This critical funding from Hannaford will assist many vulnerable Vermonters in need right now," said BROC Community Action in Southwestern Vermont CEO Tom Donahue. "Hannaford Supermarkets is a responsible business that truly cares about their communities and our residents. We are proud to be their partner in helping others during this incredibly difficult time."
Winooski outbreak declared over
The Vermont Health Department says an outbreak of COVID-19 that began in the city of Winooski is over.
Health Commissioner Dr. Mark Levine said Wednesday the outbreak is considered over because 28 days have passed since any new infections connected to it have been reported.
"Now keep in mind this isn't really a celebration," Levine said during an online briefing with local officials. "The pandemic is far from over."
The outbreak was first identified in June, primarily in the immigrant community in the densely packed city of Winooski.
The outbreak included 117 infections — 77 in Winooski, 22 in Burlington and 18 in other towns in Chittenden and Grand Isle counties. Two people were hospitalized, but there were no deaths.
Statistics showed that 65 percent of the cases were among adults and 35 percent were among children. The health department says 60 percent of the people who tested positive didn't report symptoms.
To help confront the outbreak, between June 8 and the end of July, the Vermont Health Department conducted about 10,000 tests at pop-up sites in Burlington and Winooski.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.