The Bennington Banner has lifted the paywall on all coronavirus stories that provide critical public health information to readers. To support vital reporting such as this, please consider a digital subscription today.

The Checkup: 2 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Vermont

Posted
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

With this regular feature, the Banner runs down breaking local and regional developments in the coronavirus crisis.

The numbers

According to the Vermont Department of Health, two new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Vermont over the past day, raising the total to 977. The new cases were reported in Chittenden and Addison counties.

In Bennington County, the total stands at 63 cases.

No Vermonters have died of the disease since Friday morning, leaving the total number of deaths at 55.

So far, 32,667 tests have been administered.

Article Continues After Advertisement

Forty people are being monitored, and 886 have completed monitoring, the state reported. The health department said 865 people have recovered from COVID-19, an increase of six from Thursday.

No fireworks for Burlington

Vermont's largest city has canceled its Independence Day fireworks.

Article Continues After These Ads

Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger announced Friday that the annual July 3 show will not take place, saying there is no way to maintain social distancing, WCAX-TV reported. Weinberger cited the Gov. Phil Scott's order canceling fairs and festivals.

Weinberger asked residents for ideas for alternative events to the fireworks and other summer events. The city has canceled all events at Waterfront Park through August.

Maine campground operators lose round in court

Article Continues After Advertisement

A federal judge has denied a motion in a lawsuit by some Maine campground operators who believe a state quarantine order for out-of-state visitors is unconstitutional. The move came Friday, hours after the U.S. Department of Justice said it filed court papers in support of campground operators.

The campgrounds sued in federal court saying they believe the rule treats Maine residents more favorably than out-of-state residents, and that is hurting them economically.

U.S. District Judge Lance Walker on Friday denied a motion for a preliminary injunction, allowing the rule to stand while the lawsuit proceeds, the Portland Press Herald reported.

Gov. Janet Mills, a Democrat, said the quarantine is "a proven tool to prevent the spread of this deadly disease" and said the Justice Department is "making a concerted effort to undermine the health of the people of Maine."

Mills said Saturday that restaurants in Androscoggin, Cumberland and York counties that she told to delay opening can sell their excess food to prisons. Mills plans to start the second phase of the state's reopening on June 1 but said restaurants in those counties won't be able to open that day. She said the Maine Department of Corrections commissioner has agreed to purchase excess food from restaurants in those areas, WMTE reported.

On Saturday, Maine reported four more deaths from COVID-19 for a total of 89. The state had 2,025 confirmed cases.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.




Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions