Letter: Response regarding Shaftsbury positions
In a recent letter to the editor, Holly Snow Bahan, candidate for Shaftsbury Town Clerk and Treasurer, made some misleading statements regarding compensation for the two offices she hopes to fill. Here are the facts:
- Treasurer salary is scheduled to increase modestly from $18,000 to $20,000.
- Town clerk salary is scheduled to increase from $28,000 to $32,760 due to an increase in scheduled work hours.
- The town clerk is now offered health insurance, as is appropriate for a 35 hour/week employee, at a cost of $10,538*.
- Last year the voters approved paying the town clerk a salary, rather than a fee based compensation.
- Based on 2017 receipts, clerk fees, which are now Town revenue, are estimated at $41,640 for next year, largely offsetting the increase in compensation.
Ms. Bahan's claim of $17,298 increased taxpayer cost ignores the revenue the town now collects in clerk fees.
Also, the Selectboard recently adopted a new personnel policy (pending legal review) that better addresses a number of personnel issues. Offering health insurance to elected officials is no longer prohibited.
Shaftsbury Selectboard: Joe Barber, Ken Harrington, Tony Krulikowski, Tim Scoggins, Art Whitman
(*$4,000 of that amount is for a health savings account to offset deductibles, although no employee has ever needed the full amount.)
Shaftsbury Selectboard Chair
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.