MAU pulls double duty on senior night

BENNINGTON — For Mount Anthony wrestling's senior night, the Patriots had to do double duty.

First, they faced Xavier, Conn., as an appetizer before facing Bishop Hendricken (R.I.) for the main course.

The Patriots came in hungry and left full after beating both Xavier, 46-27, and Hendricken, 35-27.

The match started at 145 pounds against Hendricken and the Patriots got going well. Keegan Coon faced Nate Reid and after a scoreless opening period, Coon scored on a takedown, a penalty and three near fall points to go up 6-0. In the third, he scored another takedown to make the score 8-0 and earn the extra bonus team point after the opening match.

In a possible New Englands preview, Tyler Burgess and Devin Rivet battled it out at 152 pounds.

After a scoreless first period, Rivet chose the down position to start the second and escaped for a 1-0 lead, an advantage he held into the third. Seconds in the final period, Burgess escaped to tie the match.

Shortly thereafter, there was a controversial takedown awarded to Rivet, after he got all the way to the edge of the mat, keeping his toes inbounds as Burgess ended up on the bare floor.

The takedown was called by head referee Tim Ayer, then overturned by assistant referee Scott Elithorpe, to the disdain of the Hendricken fans. They got together and gave Rivet back the takedown for a 3-1 lead.

"I thought his hands hit the floor, but Tyler had his chances," said MAU coach Brian Coon.

Burgess escaped with 35 seconds left to cut the deficit to 3-2, but Rivet withstood three restarts in the final 30 seconds for a 3-2 win.

"Rivet is one of the best in New England and Tyler is one point away from that," Coon said.

Adam Osha gave MAU a lead back after a 19-7 major decision at 160 over James Eubanks, but Paul Hugo-Arcand cut into it with a 6-1 decision over Steven Brillon at 170.

"Steven did his job, not getting pinned. He wrestled tough against a really good wrestler," Coon said.

Chris Mayer gave MAU its five-point lead back with a 5-1 decision at 182 to make it 11-6 and Sam Wilkins also scored a decision win — 2-0 — to make it 14-6 MAU.

Seniors Colin Crowley and Calvin Hayford made their big night short ones with pins at both 220 and 285 — Crowley sticking Zach Knight in 1:45 and Hayford taking out Aiden Corcoran in 52 seconds. Hayford's win extended the lead to 26-6.

"I told them beforehand I needed pins from them because I knew we'd have to forfeit at 106," Coon said. "That part of the lineup is our strongest and their weakest, so we were able to get some much-needed points."

After MAU forfeited at 106, Brodie Krawczyk was pinned at 113 and Julian Granger was teched at 120, respectively, as Hendricken cut the lead to 26-23 with three matches to go.

But Keenan Taylor continued his terrific season with a 7-2 win over Nick Fine at 126 and Noah Call clinched the match at 132 pounds with a first-period fall over Tyler Keaney. Gage McLaughlin fell by major decision at 138 to Dylan Disano in another possible New England preview.

"This team finds a way to win the close matches," Coon said.

MAU will host its dual tournament on Saturday.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions