Long-time Hoosick coach Weeden dies at 69

HOOSICK, N.Y. — Long-time Hoosick Falls softball coach Charlie Weeden passed away on Sunday. He was 69 years old.

Weeden, the transportation supervisor for the Hoosick Falls Central School District for many years, coached the softball program for 19 seasons, compiling a 254-182 record and reaching the state championship game in back-to-back seasons in 2009 and 2010.

He also was a part of the girls basketball team staff and the football coaching staff and the success of those programs over the past few years as well.

Hoosick Falls boys basketball and baseball coach Mike Lilac said he heard about Weeden's passing early Sunday morning.

"It was totally unexpected. In our office, he was like an uncle figure to all of us," Lilac said. "He was one of the first guys to make me feel welcome when I started at Hoosick Falls. He coached whatever was needed at any level. We took scouting trips all over the place and went on the bus rides together when baseball and softball would travel together. I never went away without a smile on my face."

When he wasn't coaching softball, he was an umpire for the youth softball leagues around the area.

There were lots of online tributes, from coaches to parents and his family. One, from his granddaughter, Alyssa Ellis, described Weeden as her hero, supporter, coach and friend.

"I was so lucky to have had my grandpa coach me in both basketball and softball and love every minute of it," Ellis wrote on Instagram. "My senior year was the best just simply because he was my coach. He made the game fun and made me forever be a fighter and a strong person in general."

Weeden coached two of his granddaughters, Alyssa and Mackenzie Ellis, at Hoosick Falls.

Girls basketball coach Eamonn DeGraaf heard about Weeden's death on Sunday morning as well.

"When I came here nine years ago, he was the first to welcome me," DeGraaf said. "He was one of the nicest guys, he'd give you the shirt off his back. He's going to be missed in the community and in the coaches' office. It's devastating. He was on our bench during the sectional runs and he always made it fun for us. Our town really lost an icon."

Weeden's brother, Vern, passed away in December.

"Charlie was on the short list of people to call at any time of night," Lilac said. "If you called at 4 a.m. and told him you couldn't say why, he would come and get you, no matter what, that's the kind of person he was. He would drop everything to do anything for you."

On Monday, Lilac said he was at school, the perfect time for Weeden to come into the coach's office.

"It was one of those relationships that you didn't have to keep your guard up," Lilac said. "He liked to bust our chops and keep us grounded."

Funeral arraignments were still being made as of Monday night.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions