Letter: Why no refunds on car registration tax?


To the Editor:

I recently sold a car that had just been registered to the Vermont DMV. Since the registration plates were only one month old I decided to apply for a refund of the registration cost for the remaining 11 months. However, I was advised that you can only way you can get a refund is to apply before you even put the plates on your car.

I think this is a ripoff by the State of Vermont DMV.

There is no possible justification for denying a refund of this tax. When taxes are withheld from your paycheck, you get a refund if you overpay. The same should apply in this situation. If you pay it forward for an ensuing year you should be able to get a refund of the cost if you no longer need the mandated registration.

I realize we are not talking about a large amount of money, but the same rules should apply.

Fred E. Phillips,




If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions