Former Arlington woman's death ruled homicide

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

WINOOSKI — The death of a 28 year-old former Arlington woman at her apartment in Winooski last month was ruled a homicide Thursday by the office of Vermont's Chief Medical Examiner.

Hannah Maree Keyes, 28, a mother of two young girls, died from "compression of neck and chest," Dr. Elizabeth A. Bundock, deputy chief medical examiner, wrote on the revised death certificate.

The update also notes Keyes was "assaulted by other" and the injury was received at the apartment.

Bundock had initially listed the cause and manner of death as "pending" on the original death certificate. Police said Bundock reported she needed more information, including toxicology results.

Winooski Police Chief Rick Hebert had said his investigators were unable to see any marks on her body at the scene.

Article Continues After Advertisement

Police say the father of her two children, Keith D. Gaston, 32, also of Winooski remains missing after last being seen on video surveillance jumping into the rain-swollen Winooski River the afternoon of Nov. 3.

Article Continues After These Ads

Winooski Police did a welfare check at the apartment about 10:05 p.m. Nov. 2 after co-workers at The Arbors, a senior living complex in Shelburne, expressed concern. She had failed to appear for work for two days, which was unusual.

She was found dead inside the basement apartment at 65 Audet St. in Winooski. Her two daughters, 3 and 4, had apparently fed themselves with Halloween candy, police said. Investigators began an immediate search for Gaston, who was identified as a fianc e.

Police said they learned Gaston also had failed to appear for work for a week at Global Foundries in Essex.

Article Continues After Advertisement

Keyes was a 2010 graduate of Arlington Memorial High School and later attended the now defunct Southern Vermont College. Gaston also attended SVC, where he played men's basketball and graduated with a bachelor's degree in business administration and sports management in May 2012.

Their daughters, Ella, 4, and Aliya, 3, were checked by the Department for Children and Families and later turned over to a member of Keyes' family, Hebert reported.

A memorial fund in the memory of Keyes and to support her children has been established. It had a $1,000 goal, but had generated $6,400 in donations from 104 donors as of noon Thursday.

Donations may be made at:


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions