Shaftsbury blaze claims family dog

Posted

Note: This story was updated at 9:55 a.m. on August 11, 2018.

SHAFTSBURY — Shaftsbury and North Bennington firefighters responded just prior to 7 p.m. on Monday to a fire in a multi-family dwelling at 154 Church St. in Shaftsbury.
Shaftsbury Fire Chief Joe Vadakin said that the blaze was confined to one ground-floor apartment, and that the other three apartments in the building had some smoke damage, but were deemed livable. The fire started in the area of the stove, but Vadakin said that the exact cause could not be determined.
A young dog was found hiding under a bed and was rescued from the building, but despite the efforts of firefighters and EMTs the dog stopped breathing and passed away at the scene. "We tried," said Vadakin. "I gave him mouth to mouth at one point, and then we brought over an air bottle, but we weren't able to resuscitate him."
Vadakin said that all other people and pets, including several parrots, were successfully evacuated from the building.
The Shaftsbury Fire Department members receive training in rendering emergency medical aid to animals, said Vadakin. While the dog's death took an emotional toll on some of the firefighters, Vadakin said on Tuesday that they were all doing well.
Vermont State Police troopers and the Bennington Rescue Squad were also on hand at the scene.
The fire had been extinguished by 7:30 p.m., but the Church St. remained closed to traffic until around quarter after eight as firefighters continued to work on the building.
Vadakin said that the displaced family is safe and that they have relatives in the area.
Derek Carson can be reached at dcarson@
benningtonbanner.com, at @DerekCarsonBB on Twitter and 802-447-7567, ext. 122.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.



Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions