College and career prep sessions

High school sophomores and up and their families who are thinking about what comes after high school can attend College and Career Pathways, free, half-day conferences hosted by Vermont Student Assistance Corp., March 17 at Saint Michael's College, from 9 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. and April 7 at Castleton University, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Topics include: the admissions process and college search; how to pay for school, applying for financial aid, scholarships and grants; campus life, internships, co-ops and study abroad; and skilled trades, apprenticeships, certificate programs that lead to great careers. To register, visit


Informational program for renters

Renters 101 will be offered Thursdays beginning March 15 at 12:30 p.m., Second Congregational Church, 115 Hillside St, Bennington. Topics will include Housing Readiness and Search on March 15; Tenant Responsibilities on March 22; Landlord Relations and panel on March 29. Course participants will receive a certificate of attendance for each unit completed. Register at 802-442-6934.


Exhibition on view

Centers for Living and Rehabilitation of Southwestern Vermont Health Care is showcasing the artwork of resident Heidi Traber. The exhibit opened on Feb. 28 and remains on display through early spring. It consists of 20 realistic works in graphite on paper completed over the past nearly 30 years.


Special Snow Goose harvest opportunity

Vermont's spring snow goose hunt will be held from March 11 through April 27. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues annually a "Conservation Order" to allow the reduction of the population of migrating greater and lesser snow geese and Ross' geese. The daily bag limit is 15, and there is no possession limit. Waterfowl hunting regulations in effect last fall will apply, with the exception that unplugged shotguns and electronic calls may be used, and shooting hours will be extended until one half hour after sunset. A permit is required and is available at no charge at

Hunters may also call 802-878-1564 to request a permit. Hunters will also need a 2018 Vermont hunting license (residents $26, nonresident small game $50), a 2018 Harvest Information Program number, a 2017 federal migratory hunting stamp ($25), and a 2018 Vermont migratory waterfowl stamp ($7.50). Hunters can register with the Harvest Information Program by going to the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department website or by calling 877-306-7091. Hunters who obtain a permit will be required to complete an online survey after April 27 and prior to May 16, 2018, whether they hunted or not. Hunters without access to the internet may obtain a copy of the survey by calling 802-878-1564.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions