Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

STRATTON —Stratton Mountain School hosted a doubleheader against Twin Valley’s soccer teams on Saturday. The SMS girls came away victorious, while the Twin Valley boys defeated SMS.

The Girls played first, facing off against Twin Valley for the second time this season and bringing home a 2-1 win.

SMS started by dominating the play, winning challenges, and making smart passes. Midfielders Meritt Loring and Chloe Lathrop controlled the middle ground, distributing the ball and initiating attacks. At the same time, defenders Anna Davis, Jaqui Culver, Sophie Davis, and Eva Morin shut down their opponents’ few opportunities at the net.

Despite the defense’s efforts, a ball slipped through goalkeeper Pip Greenberg’s hands and rolled into goal, giving Twin Valley a 1-0 lead.

Eliza Sullivan and Victoria Powers made several attempts to score for the remainder of the half, but none managed to break through the defense. But just before the whistle, Skylar Koeppe came down the wing to score unassisted and even the tally, 1-1.

SMS maintained its dominance in the second half, keeping the ball in Twin Valley's end of the field for the game’s duration. With less than fifteen minutes left, Greenberg crossed the ball to Sullivan, who slammed a shot into the net for a 2-1 win.

The Boy’s played next, and, though it was a tight and exciting match, Twin Valley hung on for a 2-1 victory.

The SMS boys had a hard time out the gate thanks to a gusty wind that made it difficult to clear the ball. Two minutes in, Twin Valley lofted a perfect corner kick in front of the net, and while SMS defenders blocked the first two shots, the offenses’ third strike found the back of the net for a 1-0 lead. Ten minutes later, Bobby Stevenish used his blazing speed to catch a ball behind the defense, but the Twin Valley keeper stopped his blast. Play continued back and forth with good scoring opportunities that were denied by Twin Valley's keeper.

Twin Valley extended their lead to 2-0 nine minutes before the half. 

The second half saw SMS come out flying and passing well. After several attempts in the first ten minutes, Harrison DiGangi fed a perfect through ball to Nick Sheid, who finished strongly and cut the deficit in half.

Play remained fast and furious on both sides for the remainder of the game. Goalkeeper Jake Jacobi made several saves to keep the game close, especially in the last tens minutes, when SMS played a man down. With 23 seconds left, SMS lofted a free-kick from midfield, which resulted in a corner. Yuto Takai rushed to get off the corner, which he lofted beautifully toward the net. The ball ricocheted twice but did not go in, and the game ended.

The Boys Varsity team will face Arlington on Friday before moving on to Leland and Gray on Tuesday.

On Oct. 24, SMS will host another varsity doubleheader against BBA's gold team. 

Michael Mawson can be reached on Twitter @Mawson_Sports or via email at


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us.
We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.