Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.  

BENNINGTON — Rutland girls soccer defeated Mount Anthony 4-3 on Thursday night in a tightly contested matchup between the Division I schools at Spinelli Field. 

More than half of the goals throughout the game were scored in a nine minute sequence in the later portion of the first half. All three of MAU's scores would come during this burst.

MAU's Antonia Pellon started the goal fest.

With Rutland controlling the first portion of the game and holding a 2-0 advantage, Pellon was able to give the Patriots on the scoreboard with 14 minutes and 29 seconds left in the first half, cutting the Rutland lead in half. 

Pellon would get another goal shortly after. Rutland followed with a goal of its own. MAU's Elyria Altland would bring the game back to a tie, 3-3, with under four minutes left in the first half. 

In total, four of the games seven goals were scored during that nine minute offensive outburst. 

"It was a great fight to really come back and make it a level game going into the second half," MAU coach Aaron Wood said. 

Rutland looked like they might runaway with the game early on, coming out very strong. The visitors scored before 60 seconds ran off the game clock. Rutland had two good scoring chances in the first minute of the game, MAU keeper Lexi Gerow was able to stop the first. The second look ultimately got Rutland on the scoreboard early. 

Less than three minutes later, Gerow appeared to have full control of the ball, but Rutland challenged the keeper, knocking it out of her hands. The play was not stopped and Rutland doubled their lead to 2-0. 

Rutland looked aggressive in the first half, challenging the keeper early and often. 

In the second half, MAU led in aggression. With the teams switching sides of the field, and a significant wind blowing toward the Rutland keeper, MAU moved their entire team up on each Rutland goal kick. The strategic move gave MAU control of the ball for a large portion of the second half, giving the Patriots good looks at the goal. 

"It was basically a 0-0 game going into the second half," Wood said. "With us having the wind (in our favor), we felt that we had the advantage, and I thought we did a good job." 

Despite playing in Rutland's half of the field often in the second half, MAU was not able to tack on another score. 

The game-winner came with just under 14 minutes left. Rutland gained possession of a deflection, and with the entire defense up for MAU, the Rutland player only had one MAU defender to beat in a foot race for the ball. 

Rutland did not have many opportunities in the second half, but they made them count. 

With the loss, MAU is now 1-3 on the season. The Patriots next chance to get back into the win column will be Saturday at 11 a.m. in a home game versus Fair Haven.

Michael Mawson can be reached on Twitter @Mawson_Sports or via email at

Sports Reporter

Michael Mawson is a sports reporter for the Bennington Banner. He obtained a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of New Hampshire in 2019. Michael was the sports editor of UNH’s student newspaper where he covered NCAA Division I athletics.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us.
We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.