I was in a meeting a couple years ago with many other chamber directors and when I mentioned I was from southwestern Vermont, a couple of them exclaimed, "Oh, you're from Festival Town!"
Of course it only took a quick glance at the amazing events, mainly festivals that The Shires of Vermont have, to understand what they meant!
It is the ingenuity of the people in The Shires that we built, constructed, produced and attracted these types of festivals. From craft festivals to brew festivals, music festivals to garlic festivals - there is something for everyone here! When people ask how could we get the world to notice our little corner of Vermont, we respond with a vast array of eclectic, must-see, festivals and events this summer season!
And, here is the 2019 line up (so far):
- Mayfest: Bennington, Saturday, May 25
- Wanderlust: Stratton Mountain, Thursday, June 20 to Sunday, June 23
- Vermont Summer Festival (Horse Show): Manchester, Tuesday, July 2 to Sunday, August 11
- Midnight Madness: Bennington, Thursday, July 18
- Manchester Street Fest: Manchester, Friday, July 19
- 41st Southern Vermont Arts and Craft Festival: Bennington, Friday, Aug. 2 to Sunday, August 4
- Summer Homebrew Festival: Bennington, Saturday, Aug. 3
- MDO Sidewalk Sales: Manchester, Thursday, August 8 to Sunday, Aug. 11
- Green Mountain Bluegrass & Roots Festival: Manchester, Thursday, Aug. 15 - Sunday, Aug. 18
- Bennington Battle Day Weekend: Bennington, Friday, August 16 to Sunday, Aug. 18
- 24th Annual Southern Vermont Garlic and Herb Festival: Saturday, Aug. 31 to Sunday, Sept. 1
- Downtown Food Truck Festival: Bennington, Saturday, Sept. 14
- 26th Annual Bennington Quiltfest - Bennington - Saturday, Sept. 14 to Sunday, Sept. 15
- The Peru Fair: Peru, Saturday, Sept. 28
- Oktoberfest: Bennington, Saturday, Oct. 5
- Fallapalooza: Bennington, Saturday, Oct. 26
Go #ExploreTheShires and our festivals this season!
Matt Harrington is executive director of the Bennington Area Chamber of Commerce.