Fairpoint experiences long-distance glitch
SOUTH BURLINGTON (AP) -- Some of FairPoint Communications’ Vermont customers were unable to call out-of-state or reach Fairpoint’s customer service and repair centers Wednesday.
The outage lasted about six hours before it was fixed around 4:30 p.m.
Beth Fastiggi, a FairPoint spokeswoman in Vermont, says the problem was with Verizon Business, which Fairpoint uses for its out-of-state long distance service.
She says she doesn’t know how many customers were affected.
State senator runs for lieutenant governor
MONTPELIER (AP) -- State Sen. Edward Flanagan is running for lieutenant governor.
The former state auditor says he believes the lieutenant governor’s office could be better used to help with the state’s economic recovery.
If elected, he says he would bring together the business community, working Vermonters and the Legislature to find solutions.
The Chittenden County Democrat says his experience in the executive branch as auditor for eight years and five years in the Senate makes him well-equipped for the job.
It’s unknown if Republican Lt. Gov. Brian Dubie will seek re-election.
Another Democrat, Vermont House Majority Leader Floyd Nease, is considering entering the race.
Woman sentenced to 15 years in son’s drowning
NORTH HERO (AP) -- A Vermont judge has sentenced a 51-year-old Montreal woman to 15 years in prison for drowning her 8-year-old son three years ago.
Judge Michael Kupersmith issued the sentence to Louise Desnoyers after hearing her give a lengthy statement of apology to her family, friends and the court.
Desnoyers earlier this year pleaded no contest in the death of Nicholas Desnoyers-Langlois.
She originally pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.
The judge says he determined that Desnoyers knew what she was doing when she drowned the boy in August of 2006.
She told authorities she held her son under water so he wouldn’t have to suffer through her impending breakup with his father.
Vt. Guard sends deployment letters
COLCHESTER (AP) -- A long-awaited troop deployment -- the largest for the Vermont Army National Guard since World War II -- is moving closer to reality this week with letters going out to about 1,800 Guard families telling them of the plan.
Guard officials have said for more than a year that they were expecting to receive orders for 1,800 troops from Vermont to go to Afghanistan late in 2009 or early in 2010.
The Guard will make a formal announcement of the deployment Thursday afternoon.
Guard Lt. Col. Lloyd Goodrow says Adjutant General Michael Dubie had promised Guard families they would be notified first of deployment plans. Goodrow says that’s what the letters aimed to do.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.