Southern Vermont dropped in double OT

Wednesday January 16, 2013


Sports Editor

BENNINGTON -- Southern Vermont College sophomore Tyler Hess stood at the foul line, poised for his free throws with his team down a point and 1.8 seconds left.

"I was just thinking, don't miss, don't miss," Hess said. "My legs were shaking. I had a similar situation in high school, but the crowd here was twice as loud. I knew what I had to do."

Hess, who was 11-of-14 from the line this season, fired up the first and missed. After the miss, Lesley coach Donald Morris called a timeout.

"I hit the back rim. It helped when they called timeout; my teammates walked me through the situation," Hess said.

Hess sent up the second and nailed it to send the game to overtime.

"At least I made one to get to overtime," Hess said. "I wish i made both."

Not to be outdone, senior captain Taeshon Johnson sent the game to a second overtime, hitting a buzzer beater.

But in the end, the result was the same for SVC, getting outscored 12-2 in the second overtime in a 77-67 loss.

SVC drops to 0-14 on the season.

"We're not an [0-14] team, but we haven't turned it into reality yet, said Southern Vermont coach Mike McDonough. "Everyone on this team knows we're capable of more. We make bad choices and do fundamentally wrong things. It always seems to be at key moments, but that's the nature of the game."

Just getting to overtime took a couple of comebacks from the Mountaineers.

Lesley's Brian Glodowski hit a shot with 4:10 left in regulation to give the Lynx a 58-51 lead, but then Johnson got to the rim and scored, as did Tarvaris Jenkins to pull within 58-55. After Niklaus Oliver missed the front end of a one-and-one, two free throws by Johnson, who led all scores with 26 points on the night, got SVC to 58-57.

With 6 seconds left, Jenkins missed a jumper and Hess was fouled going for the rebound.

"I didn't say anything to him during the timeout," McDonough said. "I have lots of confidence in Tyler's ability to shoot free throws, but a moment with anyone put in that spot would have difficulty. He was as tight as tight could be but he overcame it to make the second."

In the first overtime, Travis Severs knocked down a three to start for the Mountaineers, but Lesley re-tied the game at 63-63 with a three by Matt Gibson, who led the Lynx with 23 points.

As time ran down, SVC stole the ball, but an errant pass gave it back to Lesley. Gibson hit a shot with 10 seconds left for the lead, but SVC had another chance with a second remaining. On the inbounds, Johnson got up in the air with a shot and hit the bottom of the net, setting off a celebration and sending the game to overtime No. 2.

"[Assistant] Coach Bromirski laid the play out, [it] had to be a one-touch scenario," McDonough said. "It didn't happen all at once, and everyone played their roles on that play. Tyler set a great screen to get Tae open and he had a great finish."

In the second overtime, Lesley started with one of their 12 3-pointers and held SVC to a single basket in the last five minutes.

"I was worried about them being too high, we were so excited about that shot, it's hard not to be," McDonough said. "We had to gather ourselves and that had some impact on the first possessions of the second overtime."

SVC had three players in double figures, Johnson, Jenkins (who had a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds) and Mount Anthony Union grad Severs, who added 15.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions