Shaftsbury man facing slew of charges after chasing another vehicle, ramming it


BENNINGTON >> A Shaftsbury man is facing a slew of serious criminal charges after he allegedly chased a group of people in a vehicle, ramming their car, then fought with them after they drove to a local variety store to call 911.

Ryan F. Kinney, 41, pleaded not guilty Friday in Vermont Superior Court to 18 criminal charges, those being:

• Aggravated first degree domestic assault with a weapon, three counts.

• Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one count.

• Aggravated stalking with a deadly weapon, four counts.

• Attempted first degree aggravated domestic assault, one count.

• Felony unlawful mischief, one count

• Vehicle operation — reckless or gross negligence, subsequent offense, one count.

• Attempting to escape the custody of an office, one count.

• Misdemeanor unlawful mischief, one count

• Misdemeanor aggravated disorderly conduct, one count.

• Vehicle operation with excessive speed, a misdemeanor, one count.

• Driving with a license suspended for DUI, one count

• Disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor, one count.

• Misdemeanor domestic assault, one count.

He was ordered held without bail at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility in Rutland while the case is pending.

According to an affidavit by Vermont State Trooper Lucas Hall, on Aug. 18 at 6:25 p.m. he was summoned to the North Bennington Variety Store to assist Bennington Police with a fight taking place there. The fight had begun on Harrington Road in Shaftsbury, where Kinney lives. Kinney was in custody upon Hall's arrival.

Hall wrote that after speaking to several people involved, he learned that four people, one of them related to Kinney, had gone to Kinney's residence at 6 p.m., all in one vehicle. Two of them were tenants of Kinney's and were moving out. There had been a falling out between them and Kinney and an argument started when Kinney insisted that his relative not be in the car with the others. The driver, a male, displayed an obscene hand gesture towards Kinney then drove away.

Kinney followed in his own vehicle, using it to ram the back of the other vehicle a number of times, one time causing to spin around twice. The chase reached speeds of 80 mph according to the witnesses in the fleeing car. All witnesses said they feared for their lives because of Kinney.

According to an affidavit by Bennington Police, Kinney attempted to forcibly remove his family member from the other car, fighting with the other passengers and driver to do so.

Police said Kinney also attempted to kick the door open of the police cruiser he was placed in, causing $2,000 in damage.

Kinney admitted to ramming the other vehicle in attempt to stop it. He told police the other people were drug users and he did not want his family member involved with them.

— Contact Keith Whitcomb Jr. at 802-447-7567 Ext. 115


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions