NY to get $3.5B in 1st release of Sandy aid
NEW YORK (AP) -- Sen. Charles Schumer says New York is getting nearly $3.5 billion in the first release of funds from the $50.5 billion emergency relief measure enacted last month for Superstorm Sandy victims.
The first allotment of funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will be released this week and will go toward housing and rebuilding efforts.
Of the $3.5 billion, Schumer says New York State will get $1.7 billion and New York City will get nearly $1.8 billion.
Schumer says further details on the specific projects and geographic distribution will be released in mid-February.
The Oct. 29 storm was one of the worst to strike the Northeast and is blamed for more than 130 deaths and tens of billions of dollars in property damage.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.