Not guilty plea to domestic assault charges

Wednesday January 16, 2013


Staff Writer

BENNINGTON -- A Shaftsbury man accused of assaulting two women after he smashed a television with a sledgehammer was held for lack of $50,000 bail on Monday.

Gary D. Boggus, 31, pleaded not guilty on Jan. 7 to felony counts of obstructing justice, and first degree aggravated domestic assault. He also pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor counts of unlawful mischief and single counts of domestic assault, and interference with access to emergency services. He was held without bail but on Monday had the $50,000 placed on him along with conditions he not have contact with the two alleged victims. According to the Vermont Offender Locator, he is being held in the Marble Valley Correctional Facility in Rutland.

According to an affidavit by Vermont State Police Trooper Justin Walker, on Jan. 6 at 8:51 p.m. he was dispatched to a home on Route 7A in Shaftsbury where a woman had called from and yelled for help, saying she had been assaulted by Boggus, who had subsequently left in a truck.

Walker said he spoke to a woman who said she had been living at the home with Boggus and his girlfriend. She said there had been tension between her and Boggus over her living there and earlier that evening there had been an argument. Walker said he spoke to the woman after she was done being treated by the Bennington Rescue Squad for multiple wounds on her face. He said there were multiple broken objects around the house including a television.

The woman said Boggus stepped out of the house while she was watching television and returned with a sledgehammer, which he used to smash the television. She said she was close enough to the television when this happened to get glass on her face.

She told police Boggus then attacked her with a closed fist and they struggled into another room where Boggus grabbed her by the hair and slammed her face into a door jamb several times, causing her to chip some of her teeth. She said Boggus' girlfriend tried to pull him back but was shoved and hit her elbow.

The woman said she tried to call police but Boggus took her cell phone and threw it. She said he did the same with the other woman's cell phone but the first woman was able to find her old phone and leave the house to call police. She said Boggus followed her out and threatened to kill her if she called authorities but he left in his truck instead.

Walker wrote that Boggus was located and taken into custody. He declined to offer a statement.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions