PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The Mount Anthony Union High School wrestling team set yet another standard in its long and storied history, riding two champions -- Troy Gassaway and Jesse Webb -- and three other placefinishers to repeat as New England wrestling champions, the first time the Patriots have ever done it.

Webb became a two-time regional champion facing the same opponent in the final this season as he did last season in Fairfield-Warde (Conn.)'s Amed Hourani. Webb scored a pair of takedowns to take a 4-2 lead into the second. He escaped to extend the lead in the second, then gave up an escape in the third to make it 5-3. At the end of the match, Hourani shoved Webb off the mat, but the senior was undeterred and celebrated his New England crown.

The stats on Webb are incredible: 4-time Vermont state champion and 4-time New England place-finisher.

At 120 pounds, Troy Gassaway moved one step up from his runner-up finish in 2013 with a 3-1 decision over Billerica, Mass.'s Nick Derosa. Gassaway scored the escape after a scoreless first period and nearly earned a takedown in the final seconds, but the referee disallowed it. Starting on top in the third, Gassaway turned Derosa for two near-fall points, the winning margin. After having his hand raised, he jumped into Legacy's arms.

Tyler Mattison was the third Mount Anthony finalist, dropping a 7-1 decision in the 195-pound final to Nashua North's Joe Chimelski, an opponent he'd already seen twice this season.

After a scoreless opening period, Chimelski got the upper hand, escaping and scoring takedown and near-fall points. Mattison fought out for an escape late in the third.

At 182, Austin Price took a step up the podium from his fourth-place finish a year ago. In the third place bout against David Burke from Exeter, N.H. Price started his run in the second, scoring an escape and a takedown. After Burke reversed seconds later, Price regained the advantage for a 5-2 lead. Burke pulled to 5-3, but could get no closer as Price came all the way back.

Calvin Call was sixth in his first New Englands appearance. In the fifth-place match against Zach Murillo from Southington, Conn., the first period ended up tied at 2, but Murillo took the advantage in the second with takedown and near-fall points and went into the third up 10-6. Call scored a reversal with 30 seconds left, but Call fell two points short.

For more, pick up Monday's Banner or check online at


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions