Momentum boost: Second half score leads MAU to victory over BBA



Sports Editor

BENNINGTON -- When Burr and Burton Academy scored with 30 seconds left in the half to tie the game against Mount Anthony during their field hockey battle on Monday, the Patriots' momentum from an otherwise good first half was drained.

But during an inspired halftime, the senior captains built the team -- and its momentum -- right back up.

"They were down at halftime, they were in the dumps," said MAU coach Laura Paro. "We said you have to pick yourselves up and if you go out with this attitude, we're not going to have a good afternoon. You have to adjust, that's the mental part of the game."

Makayla Farrara scored with 18 minutes left after a BBA turnover, as Mount Anthony held off the Bulldogs, 2-1.

Farrara scored the first goal four minutes in, taking a pass from outside the circle and blasting a rocket shot past BBA goalie Cubby Arvin-DiBlasio for the lead.

"It's mainly our midfielders getting us good balls," said Farrara, who has scored four of Mount Anthony's six goals so far this season. "Rachel [Holland] sent a good ball toward [the] goal and i just have to get it on goal."

Each team had chances throughout the first half afterward, but no one could find the back of the cage. In the final minute, BBA took advantage of a melee as Mary Leech found Caroline Kepler for the equalizer.

"Overall the kids did a few things we've been working on all week, like moving to the ball and going to the non-stick side," said BBA co-coach Julie Fifield. "Before [a] timeout, we talked about attacking and moving toward the goal. Mary centered and Caroline pushed it in. It was a big boost to them at the half, we can play with them."

As pumped as the Bulldogs were, Mount Anthony was just the opposite.

"We were definitely down at half when they scored in the last minute," Farrara said. "The captains tried hard to get [everyone] going."

BBA continued to press into the second half, buoyed by the tying goal, but after a Bulldog player was sent off on a penalty, Farrara scored the eventual game-winner.

"BBA is a quality team, there's a lot of ebbs and flows," Paro said. "The second goal came at a critical time, BBA was pushing us at the point and [the goal] seemed to deflate them."

Burr and Burton searched for the equalizer again, pushing up their defenders, but the Mount Anthony defense was up to the task.

MAU's defense also came up big, as BBA had eight corners but didn't score on any of them.

"Makayla was great at fly, breaking up the corners," Paro said. "If she didn't get it, Claire [Taub] did. They did a great job at keeping them out."

Both goalies had solid games, with MAU's Leah Holland making three saves and BBA's Arvin-DiBlasio with five.

"In the last week of practice, Cubby is getting more confident," Fifield said. "We're working with her and getting the basic positioning, she owns it as a goalie, we're seeing her come around."

Mount Anthony improves to 2-0, while BBA drops to 0-2.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions