Man accused of threats reaches plea agreement in Bennington case


Update, Feb. 2, 2016: Grant Delaquila, 35, of Bennington, pleaded guilty Jan. 22 in Vermont Superior Court to misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest, disturbing the peace by phone, and violating an abuse prevention order. For disturbing the peace he was he was sentenced to two to four months. For resisting arrest, he received zero to 60 days. For the violation of an abuse prevention order, he received six to 12 months. All of this was suspended, except for 16 days which he received credit for because of the time he had served after being held for lack of bail. He was also placed on probation. The state dismissed felony charges of obstructing justice, and attempted unlawful trespass, along with misdemeanor counts of stalking, and false information to police. On a separate docket, he pleaded guilty to one count of violating release conditions while the state dropped the others, those being two more counts of release violations, false information to police, and violating an abuse prevention order.

Below is the original article based off court records and a police affidavit.

BENNINGTON >> A Booth Terrace man is accused of making numerous threats to shoot or blow up police officers who tried to serve a restraining order on him.

Grant Delaquila, 34, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Vermont Superior Court to felony counts of impeding a public officer, obstructing justice, attempted unlawful trespass, and misdemeanor counts of disturbing the peace by phone, violating an abuse prevention order, stalking, and false information to police.

He was held for lack of $10,000 bail at the Rutland jail.

According to an affidavit by Bennington Police Officer Robert Murawski, on Monday at 4:16 p.m. he went to serve a restraining order filed against Delaquila. It was a "vacate" order, which meant Delaquila. would have to leave the Booth Terrace premises once he was served.

Murawski said he knocked on the door and saw several signs the home was currently occupied. He knocked quite loudly, but no one came to the door. He left at 4:40 p.m. and went back to the Bennington Police Department, where he spoke to the person who had filed for the restraining order. She said that Delaquila had sent her a text message saying he was hiding in the residence and not coming to the door.

She showed police text messages allegedly sent by Delaquila saying he would shoot police if they came to the door. The messages made extensive references to firearms and ammunition Delaquila claimed to have, as well as explosives.

Murawski then attempted to contact Delaquila via phone with no success.

At 5:27 p.m., he and two other officers went to the home and made contact with Delaquila, reading him the restraining order. He interrupted the officer several times while she read the order and refused to leave the home.

He was arrested and told police he didn't answer the door the first time because he was sleeping.

Contact Keith Whitcomb Jr. at 802-447-7567, Ext. 115.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions