Local woman charged with reckless endangerment



BENNINGTON -- Police say a local woman is facing charges after her two children, ages 7 and 8, found her passed out on the bathroom floor from an apparent heroin overdose.

Amanda J. Pratt, 31, of Bennington, pleaded not guilty Monday in Vermont Superior Court to two misdemeanor counts of reckless endangerment. She was released under the conditions that she not have harassing contact with her two children and must abide by Family Court orders.

According to an affidavit by Bennington Police Officer Lawrence Cole, on Friday at 12:35 p.m. police received a 911 call reporting an overdose at a home in Bennington.

Police learned that Dennis Pratt had received a call from his 7-year-old daughter saying their mother, Amanda Pratt, had fallen down and was unable to get up.

Dennis Pratt and Amanda Pratt are divorced and share custody of their two children, according to the affidavit.

He said he went to the home thinking Amanda Pratt had fallen in the snow outside, but his daughter called again and said her mother had fallen in the bathroom. He found her where the girl said she would be, but could not get the door open because of how she had fallen. He told the children to go to his truck and wait; he then called 911.

He told police Amanda Pratt had called him earlier and asked him to drop off the girls, which he did about three hours before the incident was reported.

Cole wrote that he was able to move Amanda Pratt away from the door while she mumbled unintelligibly. In the bathroom was a spoon holding a piece of cotton and some clear liquid, a syringe, and a black, looped belt that Cole believed was being used as a tourniquet. He said Amanda Pratt told him she had injected four bags of heroin.

She was able to stand on her own and walk to an ambulance. She told police she had been to drug rehabilitation and this was the first time she had used heroin in seven months.

On Feb. 17, Amanda Pratt met with Cole and said she had been having a bad day Feb. 14 and received a call from Dennis Pratt, which she missed. She called him back and he told her he was bringing the girls over. She was not feeling good, but was not going to refuse to take the children.

A friend brought her two bags of heroin after the girls had been dropped off, which she used in the bathroom. She does not recall anything after that.

Cole wrote that the girls were interviewed and told police largely the same story Dennis Pratt told them, only he had said there was a needle in Amanda Pratt’s arm when he found her. The girls indicated the needle was not in Amanda Pratt when they found her on the floor.

Amanda Pratt’s phone log showed she missed a call from Dennis Pratt in the morning, then she called him back for a 37-second conversation. There were two more outgoing calls made from her phone around noon which account for the two calls made by the child.

Contact Keith Whitcomb Jr. at kwhitcomb@benningtonbanner.com or follow him on Twitter @KWhitcombjr


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions