Generals save best for last in win over Patriots


BENNINGTON — In a game defined by streaks and runs, the Pittsfield girls basketball team saved its best for last, outscoring Mount Anthony by 17 in the fourth quarter in a 77-62 win on Thursday night at Kates Gym.

"I told the kids, I'll take the blame for this one, I should have subbed a little more liberally," said MAU coach Brian Harrington. "The kids got tired and it was noticeable."

Mount Anthony had three in double figures, led by Brianna Legacy's 17. She added 11 rebounds for a double-double. Kathryn Frasier had 14 before fouling out in the last minute and Madison Little had 13.

Pittsfield was led by Peyton Steinman, who had 21 in the fourth quarter en route to a 36-point effort.

"I thought Bri did a good job guarding her and we weren't afraid of taking the ball at her," Harrington said. "[Peyton] got into a little foul trouble in the second quarter. She wasn't the only one shooting the ball well tonight, though."

With seconds left in the third quarter, Little hit a basket to give Mount Anthony a 46-44 lead heading into the fourth. But Steinman hit a three in the first minute of the last quarter to give the Generals the advantage.

Frasier tied the game after a steal and a transition layup made it 52-52, Steinman was a force, scoring seven of the next nine, including a triple to answer a 3-pointer from Legacy with four minutes to go for a 61-55 lead.

Frasier scored again with 3:28 to go to cut the lead to six at 63-57, but then the Mount Anthony shooters went cold, with only a late three from Legacy with 43 seconds left the last basket of the night for the Patriots.

Pittsfield came out hot in the first quarter, hitting pretty much every shot they took — including a thrown up prayer 3-pointer from Bella Aitken that banked off the backboard — to rush out to a 23-9 lead after one quarter.

Aitken had 14 points and eight rebounds, while Allie Hunt had a double-double with 10 points and 11 boards.

At that point, the light bulb turned on for the Patriots, who went on a 16-4 run through most of the second quarter to tie the game at 27-27 with 1:12 before halftime, the tying shot a jumper off glass from Jordyn Burke.

Frasier and Legacy finished the half with a jumper and 1-of-2 from the line, respectively, to make it 30-27 at the break.

"They couldn't keep shooting like that and if they do, you tip your hat to them," Harrington said. "They were shooting lights out in the [first]. We struggled in the first, all three at different times."

Neither team could break away in the third, the largest lead by anyone was five after a Legacy shot.

"There was plenty of effort, but I could see they were tired and I should have subbed out [more]," Harrington said.

Mount Anthony faces Essex next in the North-South Challenge at Rutland.

"They were in the state championship last year and they have most of their starters back from last year," Harrington said. "We'll have practice tomorrow and just keep getting better."


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions