Fire damages Bennington home

Posted

BENNINGTON - Fire caused heavy damage to at least the second floor of a residential building on Carpenter Hill Road Monday afternoon.

Albert Brissette, who rents 293 Carpenter Hill Road to a couple and lives next door, said he noticed smoke a few minutes after noon and went outside to check. "I thought it was the chimney," he said.

Brissette said he called the fire department after seeing smoke and flames coming from a second-story window. He said his late wife grew up in the home, which has been in the family since 1931. He believes the building was built in 1857.

The apartment is rented by Kevin Mattison, a member of the Bennington Rural Fire Department. Bruce Mattison, his father, who lives near the top of Carpenter Hill Road, said his son was notified of the fire.

The fire appeared to be under control by 12:30 p.m. while firefighters used tools to knock out windows and toss out burned material, including a mattress.

The Bennington Rural Fire Department, Bennington Fire Department, Pownal Fire Department and Bennington Rescue Squad all responded to the scene. No injuries have been reported.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions