Eagles show heart in win over Windsor


ARLINGTON >> Even a man down for almost the entire game, the Arlington boys soccer team showed no quit and battled hard to earn their first win of the season.

Tied 1-1 early on in the second half, sophomore Ryan Frank took control of the loose ball and drove down the field where he fired a show into the left corner to score ultimately the game's winning goal to give Arlington a 2-1 win over Windsor.

"It was awesome to score what was the game's winning goal to help my team win," Frank said. "I just focused on the goal and putting the ball into net. I'm glad I pushed through and helped the team get the win."

The Eagles got off to a hot start to begin the game.

Within the first 10 minutes of the half, Arlington took an early lead on a goal from senior Darren Golden, who just powered his way into the Yellowjackets on just pure will and determination as Arlington coach Todd Wilkins to give the Eagles the early advantage.

Just a couple minutes later though, Arlington found itself in a big hole after Ethan Olson was given a red card and ejected from the game for committing a hand ball foul on a Windsor player's shot on the Arlington goal.

Because of the red card, the Eagles had to now play the rest of the game a man down and then saw their lead go away a few seconds later when Cameron O'Brien scored off the penalty kick for Windsor to tie the game.

"When we got that penalty I was worried that it might take the wind out of us," Wilkins said. "It's tough to play a man down for most of the game, but we made a couple changes in our lineup and just battled to say in the game."

The Eagles scratched and clawed the rest of the half to keep the game even at one.

In the second half, Arlington continued to even with a man down, control the pace of the game and get shots on net.

Finally, the Eagles got a ball in the net when Frank controlled the loose ball that came off a Windsor player's slide tackle on Golden, and the drove to the net and knocked in his first goal of the game to give the lead back to Arlington.

"That goal was the lift we needed," Wilkins said. "We were running out of gas there and that goal really gave the team that push to finish out the game strong to get the win."

With the lead back in their hands, Arlington made sure this time not to relinquish it and their goalie Bailey Cross was a big reason why.

The junior had four crucial saves in the second half to keep the Eagles lead in tacked.

In total, Cross finished with eight saves on the night in his first game in goal this season for the Eagles.

With Cross's play in goal and the Eagles continuing to control the pace of the game, Arlington was able to hold on and secure their first win of the season.

"This was great win for us and hopefully it will jump start our season," Wilkins said. "The guys did a great job battling through some adversity today and showed a lot of heart in battling to get this win."

The Eagles will next travel to play Mount Anthony as apart of the John James Tournament on Thursday at 7 p.m.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions