District Court News


BENNINGTON -- The following cases were heard Tuesday in Bennington District Court.

Taylor J. Kenyon, 23, of Church Street, pleaded not guilty to leaving the scene of a crash with an injury resulting.

Bennington Police Officer Joshua Stemp wrote in an affidavit that in the early morning hours of Nov. 28 he was dispatched to Kevin’s Sports Pub and Restaurant to a report of a car hitting a pedestrian. Stemp said he found a 53-year-old man was sitting in the middle of the road being tended to by several people.

Cpl. Christopher Lauzon was nearby and off-duty at the time of the incident. Lauzon said he saw two females leave the bar and get into a white vehicle. He said he heard them make a U-turn and then heard a loud noise, which he thought was them striking another vehicle.

Stemp said the man who was hit appeared alert and aware, but complained of pain in his shoulder and elbow. The man said he was crossing the street to get to his vehicle because he was the designated driver for a group of friends. He said he was struck by a car from behind and landed on his arm.

Stemp said the man was sent to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center for treatment and underwent surgery for a dislocated shoulder and fractured joints.

Later on Nov. 28, Bennington Police Officer William DiNunzio was contacted by Kenyon, who said she hit the man in front of the bar. Stemp said that Kenyon admitted to having consumed seven beers while at the bar, but only felt the effects slightly.

According to the affidavit, Kenyon said she saw someone near the right side of her vehicle when she left. "Kenyon said that she was unsure if she had hit the person, so she kept going," said Stemp.

According to the affidavit, Kenyon said she was informed by a friend about the man she may have hit. Stemp said there was a fresh dent on the right front portion of Kenyon’s 2002 silver Toyota Camry.


Raymond Lemaire Jr., 58, pleaded not guilty to failing to comply with the sex offender registry by not reporting a change of address.

Bennington Police Detective Michael Plusch wrote in an affidavit that he conducted a compliance check on Oct. 30 and found that Lemaire was no longer living at his School Street address. He said that on Nov. 4, he located Lemaire at the Apple Valley Inn on Route 7.

Lemaire said that he had been living there for about three weeks and that he had contacted the registry soon after he moved but had not received any paperwork from them.


Jeffrey D. Wilcox, 27, of Beech Street, pleaded not guilty to a third offense of driving while under the influence of alcohol and a second offense of DUI with subsequent test refusal. He also pleaded not guilty to one misdemeanor count of marijuana possession.

According to Bennington Police Officer David Faden, on Nov. 5 at 9:53 p.m. he was patrolling Elm Street when he saw a white vehicle cross the center line twice and swerve to the right once, nearly hitting the curb. Faden said the vehicle was pulled over and the driver found to be Wilcox. Faden said that a black bag containing a metal pipe and a two grams of marijuana was found on Wilcox’s person.

According to the affidavit, Wilcox has two DUI convictions from July 2005 and January 2004.


Megan Senecal, 19, of Benmont Avenue pleaded not guilty to two counts of domestic assault.

Bennington Police Sgt. David Dutcher wrote in an affidavit that he was dispatched to the lobby of the Police Station for a reported fight. He said that when he arrived, the parties involved had split up, and he spoke to a man who said that he, his sister and his mother were with Senecal at 1:50 p.m. at his apartment on Benmont Avenue.

He said that he and Senecal were "fooling around" and he poured water on her. He said that she sprayed him in the eyes with fabric freshener and slapped him. The man said Senecal twisted his mother’s arm behind her back and threatened the family.

Senecal told police that the man hurt her fingernail while they were fooling around and that she told him to leave her alone. She said she sprayed him in the eyes with Febreeze after he dumped water on her. She said that she tried to leave the home, but he prevented her and broke her cell phone, along with her nebulizer.

Senecal said that when the man still wouldn’t let her leave, she "blacked out and went crazy on him." She said that the man hit her on top of the head.

Senecal was released on conditions that she not have contact with the man or his mother.


David Corcuera, 30, of Cottrell Road in Hoosick Falls, N.Y., and Clifford Harrington, 32, of East Road in Bennington, pleaded not guilty to simple assault.

According to an affidavit, on Oct. 26 Bennington Police Officer Anthony Silvestro responded to Willowbrook Apartments where a man claimed Corcuera "barged" into his apartment, grabbed him by the neck and pushed him.

The man said that Harrington had come by earlier at 6 p.m. and given him $75 for work he had done, and then gave him a ride to Rite Aid. The man said that at 7:30 p.m., Corcuera and Harrington returned, and that was when Corcuera assaulted him. He said that Harrington grabbed a woman who was there by the arms and shoved her into another woman.

The man said that Corcuera wanted to know the location of a sum of money, which the man said he knew nothing about.

According to the affidavit, Harrington said he brought $75 to the man, then took him to Rite Aid. After he brought him home, Harrington said that an envelope with $250 was missing and that the money was for Corcuera. According to the affidavit, Harrington said he brought Corcuera to the man’s apartment but denied touching anybody.

-- Keith Whitcomb Jr.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions