Crews called to store for gas smell

Posted
Friday May 10, 2013

HOOSICK, N.Y. -- A call for a smell of gas at the Family Dollar in Hoosick turned out to be noxious fumes from a sewer drain.

Hoosick Fire Chief Bill Rifenburgh Jr. said his crews responded shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday to the store located on Route 22, south of the village of Hoosick Falls. With the odor initially described as propane, the store was evacuated and the fire chief said gas detection equipment found no evidence of propane. Instead, another potentially flammable gas was detected, which was traced to a drain in the building linked to the sewer system.

The building was ventilated and cleared by about 10:30 p.m.

Responding along with the fire department were state police and the Town of Hoosick Rescue Squad.

The store opened for business a little over a month ago.

-- Zeke Wright


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions