Crews battle fire at former newspaper building in Burlington

Posted

BURLINGTON, VT. >> Fire officials say improperly discarded cigarettes are to blame for sparking a blaze at the former home of the Burlington Free Press newspaper that caused about $20,000 in damage.

Black smoke and flames were seen coming from the roof of the structure on Burlington's College Street around 3 p.m. Monday.

Fire officials say someone disposed of their cigarettes on the third-story roof, which set the building's southeast corner on fire. Deputy Fire Chief Peter Brown says the blaze originated on the roof's penthouse area near a freight elevator.

Businesses are located on the first floor and construction was being done on the upper three floors. Firefighters were able to clear the building and no injuries were reported.

The flames were extinguished by about 4:30 p.m.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions