Career Week activities slated for Bennington
BENNINGTON -- The Bennington County IndustrIal Corporation invites the public to learn more about local businesses, career pathways and job opportunities April 1 to 5. Career Week features a range of free, community-focused events celebrating the connections between education and careers.
Look for the daily We Make Cool Stuff column each day from April 1 to 5 on the Bennington Banner editorial page. These columns, written by business members of the BCIC, examine the range of products produced in Bennington.
Career events for the community include:
* Open house for the Governor's Career Ready Certificate, Healthcare Focus: Increase your competitive edge through state and national work skills certifications. Improve your work skills, enhance your ability to get a job and raise your confidence in meeting your career goals. The focus of this CCV/Vermont Department of Labor program is healthcare career opportunities and pathways. April 1, 5 to 6 p.m., CCV. Call VDOL at 802-442-6376 to register.
* Crazy Russian Girls Baking Workshop: Join Matt, Natasha and crew April 2 at 3 p.m. for a tour and Q and A session on baking for adults and hands-on activities for children. Space is limited, to reserve a spot, call 442-4688.
* Career Focus Workshop: The Vermont Department of Labor will offer a free career workshop for job seekers on April 3, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the VDOL office in Bennington. To learn more or register, call 802-442-6376.
* Career & Internship Fair at SVC: The community is invited to participate in the annual career fair with representatives from area employers on April 4, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Everett Mansion and Burgdorff Gallery. Call Denise Spencer, 447-4631, for more info.
* Business Tour: April 1: Catamount Glass, April 2: Midas Auto Service, April 3: State Office Complex and Courts, April 4: Crae Printing, April 5: Home Depot. All tours are at 3 p.m. Contact the Chamber of Commerce, 447-3311, to register.
* CCV Sit-in: Monday through Friday, sit-in on a class at the Community College of Vermont to learn what engaged learning is all about. Most classes are offered once a week for three hours; morning, afternoon and evening choices are available in Biology, Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Business, Computers, Criminal Justice and more. 802-447-2361.
* Lectures and events at Bennington College: April 1: Social Science Colloquium, 7 p.m., CAPA, 440-4376. April 2: Visual Arts Lecture, 7:30 p.m., Tishman, 802-440-4549. April 3: Poetry Reading, 7 p.m., Tishman, 802-440-4376 for more info. April 5: Vinegar Tom, 8 p.m., VAPA, 802-440-4547.
Events in the schools include:
* Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union Schools: Pownal Elementary Career Day Fair, April 3.
Mount Anthony Union Middle School: All 7th graders will be completing Career Interest Surveys during Career Week.
* Career Fair at the Southwest Vermont Career Development Center:
The SVCDC will hold a career fair on April 2 and April 4 from 10:20 a.m. to 12:35p.m. High school students are invited to come and learn how career and technical education can support their growth and readiness as they approach high school graduation. The CDC Atrium will be filled with informational displays and interactive activities through which students can explore. Knowledgeable staff will be on hand to answer questions and provide information about a wide variety of career pathways. For more information, contact the CDC at 447-0220.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.