Beech Street fire displaces over a dozen dogs

Posted

BENNINGTON — Firefighters responded to a structure fire on Beech Street around noon on Saturday that displaced two individuals and over a dozen dogs.

According to Roger Hughes, Bennington Rural Fire Department assistant chief, 15 dogs in crates were taken out of the home where a heavy fire broke out toward the back of the house.

He said the cause was believed to be electric related and broke out by a stairwell close to the basement and traveled up the stairwell.

"It was pretty bad," Hughes said. "I wouldn't say it's a total loss. The house is still standing."

Hughes said there were no injuries and that a husband and wife resided in the home and have plans to temporarily relocate. Hughes offered Red Cross assistance as well.

The woman living in the home used to be a Bennington Animal Control Officer, Great Fields Kennel Manager Tia Briere said at the scene. Briere helped transport a number of dogs in crates out of the home.

According to Hughes, the fire was not found suspicious and does not require further investigation.

— Makayla-Courtney McGeeney can be reached at (802)-447-7567, ext. 118.


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions