Bail issues surface with mother accused of taking son out of state


BENNINGTON -- A day after having her bail revoked by a bondsman, the woman who triggered the second Amber Alert in Vermont history by taking her son to New Hampshire while he was in Vermont state custody, was arraigned on charges for allegedly not following court imposed conditions of release.

Patricia Kane, 49, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to six counts of violating release conditions. According to Deputy State's Attorney Christina Rainville, three of the charges alleged that Kane changed her address without notifying the court, while the other three were for her refusing to provide a breath sample to police.

After hearing arguments from the state Wednesday to set her bail at $500,000, Judge John Wesley opted to leave it at $10,000.

On Jan. 27, police were notified that Kane's 12-year-old son was dropped off at his foster home in Sunderland by a school bus, but he was not at home. An Amber Alert was issued that evening and not long after Kane, her son, and then 17-year-old daughter were spotted at a restaurant in Hanover, N.H. Police tracked the group to a hotel and arrested Kane. No one was harmed.

Kane pleaded not guilty in February in Vermont Superior Court to felony counts of second degree unlawful restraint, and custodial interference. She was released under the conditions she check in on a daily basis at the Manchester Police Department, not go to her son's school, provide a breath sample to be tested for alcohol upon police request, and not leave the county, this all in addition to posting $10,000 bail.

She posted bail with Jamie Zargo, owner of AAA Bail Bonds, who testified Wednesday that he bailed Kane out while she was at the Rutland jail and spoke to the attorney representing her in a family court matter, Philip Parisi. In the criminal case, Kane is being represented by attorney Christopher Montgomery, who asked if he ever provided Kane or Parisi with the bond conditions in writing.

Zargo said he had not, and that his requests for Kane's passport went unfulfilled by Kane and Parisi.

Shortly after Kane was arraigned, her daughter contacted the Banner and said her mother had lost custody of her brother while they were all living in France. Kane was married to a U.S. diplomat, who passed away, and Kane lost custody of the child after a noise complaint brought authorities to their home.

The daughter said her mother came to the U.S. as part of an effort to have custody of her son returned to her. The child was sent to the U.S. after her, however he did not leave state custody as she hoped. She said her mother believed that by going to New Hampshire with her son, the custody issue would resolve in her favor.

Zargo told the court that Kane was not checking in with him on Wednesdays which is standard practice for those he posts bond for, so he went to the Manchester Police Department where he knew she had been checking in regularly. He told the court it appeared that Kane arrived at the police department in a taxi affiliated with an airport.

He filed a motion Monday to revoke Kane's bail which was granted without argument from the court.

More information about the flight risk posed by Kane has been gather since the first arraignment, said Rainville, who said it was learned today that Kane has two arrest warrants out for her in New York for violating a restraining order. Rainville said according to Suffolk County authorities Kane was forbidden contact with the people in the building where she lived sometime in May.

Rainville said she has also learned that Kane had seen the Amber Alert and was preparing to leave the hotel when police arrived. Kane also used false names with taxi drivers for her and her children. All this shows Kane had an intricate plan to flee and would do so again.

Montgomery argued that aside from the arrest warrants the court has the same information it did when it release Kane to start with. He said she has had trouble holding down an apartment because landlords heard about her case and refused to rent to her.

Bail was left at $10,000 because, according to Wesley, Kane's risk of flight goes "hand in glove" with her alleged abduction attempt. He said a second abduction attempt is highly unlikely and he was not convinced Kane posed any more of a flight risk than she did in February. Wesley said only in certain cases can high bail be used to prevent any behavior besides fleeing the court's jurisdiction, and this is not such a case.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions