Amber Alert mother pleads guilty
BENNINGTON -- A woman who triggered the state's second ever Amber Alert in January when she took her 12-year-old son to New Hampshire while he was in the custody of a Vermont foster family has pleaded guilty to a felony charge.
Patricia Kane, 49, of Manchester, pleaded guilty early this week to a felony count of custodial interference.
The state will drop an unlawful restraint charge at her sentencing hearing which will be held at a later date.
According to police, on Jan. 27 Kane picked her son up at the house he had been living at in Sunderland after he was dropped off there by a school bus.
An Amber Alert was issued and the family was spotted at a restaurant in Hanover, N.H. within a period of hours. They were found together at a hotel. Kane's then 17-year-old daughter was with them and no one was harmed.
Prosecutors alleged that Kane was intoxicated and has a history of "unstable behavior."
Kane's daughter told the Banner shortly after the incident that custody of the boy had been taken away from Kane while the family was living in France.
They had been there for some time, as Kane was the wife of a diplomat. The daughter said Kane came to America in attempt to gain legal custody of the boy, but he became a ward of the Vermont Department for Children and Families instead.
Her taking him to New Hampshire was an attempt to get the child into the custody of New Hampshire's DCF counterpart.
She said the accusations of instability come from Kane being upset when it was not clear whether or not French authorities would send the boy to Vermont as she had anticipated.
Contact Keith Whitcomb Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter @KWhitcombjr.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.