Tuesday November 13, 2012

Swanton house fire causes $750,000 in damage

SWANTON (AP) -- Firefighters say a fire at a Vermont home started by a discarded cigarette has caused over $750,000 in damage.

The fire was reported at about 3:40 a.m. Monday on Mountain View Drive in Swanton.

Firefighters said high winds caused the fire to quickly spread throughout out the home, making it very difficult to control.

Five people inside the home at the time made it out safely. The house was considered a total loss.