BURLINGTON (AP) -- The Burlington Fire Marshal says a fire in an apartment building in the Vermont city was caused by smoking materials that were improperly disposed of.
The fire in a six-unit apartment building at the corner of Murray and North streets was reported just after 11:30 p.m. Sunday.
Firefighters saw flames in a second floor window and found heavy black smoke on the second floor.
Firefighters extinguished the flames within minutes. The apartment suffered substantial smoke damage, but residents of the other apartments in the building were able to return home Monday morning.
Investigators determined the smoking materials ignited bedding.
There were no injuries.