WEST DANVILLE, VT. >> Fire crews battled a blaze that they say began after gasoline from a snowmobile set fire to a portable heater in a northern Vermont garage.

The Caledonian Record reports (http://bit.ly/1NTp2Y5 ) the fire broke out around 11 a.m. Monday at a vacation property on Isham Hill Road in West Danville.

Firefighters from Danville, Peacham, St. Johnsbury and Walden responded.

Fire Chief Troy Cochran says two men were working on the snowmobile when gas began to leak and its fumes ignited the pilot in the heater.

Neither man required medical attention although both reported inhaling smoke while initially attempting to extinguish the flames.

The fire caused massive damage to the wooden structure in addition to destroying equipment inside it. Some equipment immediately outside the building suffered minor damage as well.

Information from: The Caledonian-Record, http://www.caledonianrecord.com