COLCHESTER (AP) -- Vermont police say the cause of the early morning fire at Saint Michael’s College in Colchester was an electrical space heater.

The fire displaced 22 students, but all escaped safely.

The college says the fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. in Townhouse 105, one of several student apartment buildings on campus. All students are safe and accounted for, and traffic was being diverted around the site.

Red Cross volunteers also were on campus to provide food and clothing to the affected students.

The Red Cross volunteers say they have provided financial assistance for replacement clothing to seven students at this time.