NH rep. apologizes after hitting ducks at hotel

NASHUA, N.H. (AP) -- A New Hampshire state representative has apologized for driving into a group of ducks outside a Nashua hotel last week.

Rep. David Campbell, of Nashua, tells local media that he accidentally ran over the ducks on Dec. 23 outside the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

A witness called police to say he was feeding the ducks some crackers when Campbell drove by, hitting the ducks and killing some.

Campbell left the scene before police arrived and later was questioned. He says he reported the encounter to the state Fish and Game Department.

Police are investigating.

The Nashua Telegraph reports that drivers are only required to report hitting domestic dogs. Drivers, however, can be cited for intentionally running down wildlife. It would be considered an illegal taking of the animal.

Man electrocuted while clearing ice from roof

FAIRFIELD (AP) -- Vermont state police say a second person has died in the aftermath of last week’s ice storm.

Police say 48-year-old Harold Gosselin was killed while trying to clear ice from a relative’s roof in Fairfield. A metal rake he was using came in contact with a live wire.

The Burlington Free Press quotes state police as saying Gosselin was standing on an aluminum ladder at the time of the incident Sunday.

Gosselin was pronounced dead at St. Alban’s Medical Center.

The first storm-related death occurred Dec. 23, when 60-year-old Mtchel Rowell of Albany was found dead at his home from carbon monoxide poisoning. Rowell had been running a generated in an enclosed, attached garage due to a power outage.

Vt. police arrest man after 911 call disconnected

DUXBURY (AP) -- Vermont police are charging a Duxbury man with numerous crimes after responding to his home when a 911 call was disconnected.

Police say 20-year-old Patrick Sherman assaulted his girlfriend then ripped out the phone cord when his mother -- Betty Sherman -- attempted to call police at about 9:15 Monday night.

Authorities say Sherman damaged property at the home and gained possession of a shotgun.

State police charged Sherman with domestic assault, interference with emergency access, unlawful mischief and two counts of violating conditions of his release. A prior court order bars Patrick Sherman from having contact with his mother or possessing weapons.

Sherman remains in custody pending his appearance in Washington County Superior Court Tuesday. It was not immediately known whether he has a lawyer.