AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) -- The number of Maine power outages that began with last weekend’s ice storm has been greatly reduced, but it could be next week before some parts of Hancock County get electricity back, officials said Friday.

By late afternoon Friday, Bangor Hydro was still reporting almost 5,400 customers without power.

Central Maine Power, which at the peak of the storm had 87,000 customers in the dark, said it expected to restore power to all its affected customers by Friday night. Over the course of the storm 123,000 Central Maine Power customers lost power.

Bangor Hydro has called in line crews from Canada to help restore power, but Hancock County officials said they planned to keep shelters and warming centers open as long as they are needed.

The storm and people being without electricity for days had other effects.

A China man who had been without power since Monday said he believed candles caused a fire that killed three dogs in his home.

Neil Harrington told the Kennebec Journal that he had gone out to buy a generator Friday morning and returned to find smoke pouring from the home. He used a shovel to break a bedroom window, and a neighbor and first responder pulled his brother-in-law, who has cerebral palsy, out of the house. The brother-in-law was treated for smoke inhalation.

And tempers can be short.

Bangor Hydro said it had to pull crews from an area of Surry Thursday after a customer made threatening statements after he learned the crew wasn’t working to restore his power. State police investigated, but no charges were filed and the crew resumed working.