WEST WARWICK, R.I. (AP) — The opening of a memorial for a Rhode Island nightclub fire that killed 100 people is being delayed.
The memorial at the site of The Station nightclub fire was scheduled to open this weekend, but the foundation working to build it said on Monday that construction will not be ready by then.
The February 2003 blaze in West Warwick was started when pyrotechnics for the rock band Great White set fire to flammable foam inside the club.
The foundation's president, Gina Russo, one of more than 200 people injured in the fire, says it was a difficult decision but victims' families deserve to have a completed memorial, not something partway done.
She says the good news is that the foundation has reached its $2 million fundraising goal.