BENNINGTON — Firefighters responded to a structure fire on Beech Street around noon on Saturday that displaced two individuals and over a dozen dogs.
According to Roger Hughes, Bennington Rural Fire Department assistant chief, 15 dogs in crates were taken out of the home where a heavy fire broke out toward the back of the house.
He said the cause was believed to be electric related and broke out by a stairwell close to the basement and traveled up the stairwell.
"It was pretty bad," Hughes said. "I wouldn't say it's a total loss. The house is still standing."
Hughes said there were no injuries and that a husband and wife resided in the home and have plans to temporarily relocate. Hughes offered Red Cross assistance as well.
The woman living in the home used to be a Bennington Animal Control Officer, Great Fields Kennel Manager Tia Briere said at the scene. Briere helped transport a number of dogs in crates out of the home.
According to Hughes, the fire was not found suspicious and does not require further investigation.