MANCHESTER -- A fire on Lorette Avenue Tuesday that State Police said caused more than $100,000 in damage was caused by storing "extinguished smoking materials."

According to Vermont State Police Detective Steven R. Otis, of the Fire Investigation Unit, at 8 p.m. the Manchester Fire Department responded to 243 Lorette Ave. after the family that owns it called 911 to report it on fire.

Homeowners Shane Shores and Laurie Berard had been at a neighbor’s house and smelled smoke. They called the department when they discovered the back portion of their home was on fire.

The fire spread to the second floor, then the roof before it was brought under control. Firefighters were able to save an attached garage.

No one was injured.

State Police were summoned by the fire department to determine the fire’s cause.

-- Keith Whitcomb Jr.