BENNINGTON -- Dozens of people were evacuated from 210 South Street Monday morning because of a strong propane smell.
Bennington Police Lt. Lloyd Dean said authorities received a report of a propane leak around 10:40 a.m. and were on scene within minutes. The cause of the fumes was a tank at the rear of the building that had recently been filled. Dean said the tank was overfilled and was releasing excess propane.
"The pressure release valve was doing what it was supposed to be doing, which is releasing the excess pressure," he said.
A worker with Haskins Gas Service in Dorset arrived on scene and confirmed that the tank was releasing propane in a controlled manner, Dean said.
The Bennington Fire Department responded and used water to help control and dissipate the gas.
Employees were allowed to re-enter the building around 11:45 a.m.
-- Neal Goswami